Friday, January 14, 2011

Let's chat

I think a lot of people start blogs because they are bursting with words or ideas or advice to share. 

I am . . . not bursting.

I like to hold on to the things I create, to be able to prune them and let them sit for a while before I show them to anyone.  Usually, this means I don't show them to anyone.  As evidence, there are a handful of introductory blog posts like this one saved in Word documents on my computer and as drafts on this blog.  I’m never convinced that they are perfect enough to be read with a critical eye other than my own. 

But as I’ve been reading other blogs lately, and thinking about what I want to do with my own, I’ve come to the realization that blogging is not about critique – or perfection.

Blogging, done well, done in the best possible way, is a conversation.  And while you might take a moment to consider your words before you speak (I hope), you don’t get six months to prepare to talk to someone.  Conversation is imprecise and reactive.  It’s unpredictable.  It’s awkward.

I don’t know what this particular conversation is going to be about or who’s going to take part in it, but if I don’t actually start it, then the answers will be nothing and nobody.  So sans readers, sans title, and sans topic, I invite anyone who has stumbled across this to sit down, grab a cup of coffee, and join in the conversation. 

We'll see where it takes us.

(FYI, this post stayed on my computer for about a week until I posted it. I guess I still have some work to do.)


No comments:

Post a Comment